2009 regular season record: 80-82, Third place, NL Central
Major Offseason Acquisitions: Randy Wolf (LAD), LaTroy Hawkins (HOU), Doug Davis (ARI), Gregg Zaun (TB), Carlos Gomez (MIN)
Major Offseason Losses: Mike Cameron (BOS), J.J. Hardy (MIN), Felipe Lopez (STL), Jason Kendall (KC)
Projected Lineup (2009 stats):
- 2B-Rickie Weeks (.272 BA, .340 OBP, 9 HR, 24 RBI)
- CF-Carlos Gomez (.229 BA, .287 OBP, 3 HR, 28 RBI, 14 SB)
- LF-Ryan Braun (.320 BA, .386 OBP, 32 HR, 114 RBI, 20 SB)
- 1B-Prince Fielder (.299 BA, .412 OBP, 46 RBI, 141 RBI)
- 3B-Casey McGehee (.301 BA, .360 OBP, 16 HR, 66 RBI)
- RF-Corey Hart (.260 BA, .335 OBP, 12 HR, 48 RBI, 11 SB)
- C-Gregg Zaun (.260 BA, .345 OBP, 8 HR, 27 RBI)
- SS-Alcides Escobar (.304 BA, .333 OBP, 1 HR, 11 RBI)
Projected Starting Rotation/Closer (2009 stats):
- RHP Yovani Gallardo (13-12, 3.73 ERA, 185.2 IP)
- LHP Randy Wolf (11-7, 3.23 ERA, 214.1 IP)
- LHP Doug Davis (9-14, 4.12 ERA, 203.1 IP)
- RHP Dave Bush (5-9, 6.38 ERA, 114.1 IP)
- RHP Jeff Suppan (7-12, 5.29 ERA, 161.2 IP)
Closer: RHP Trevor Hoffman (1.83 ERA, 37 saves)
2010 outlook: The Brew Crew finished in the middle of the pack last season, struggling all season long with their starting pitching.
Left-hander Randy Wolf was brought in over the winter to help alleviate things, and should be able to stick as the no. 2 starter behind Yovani Gallardo in 2010.
Behind no. 3 starter Doug Davis is a lot of uncertainty.
Dave Bush will begin the season as the no. 4 starter, but 2009 was not kind to him.
His ERA was over 6.00 last year, and he was consistently knocked around.
However, he enjoyed a fairly strong spring, and has gotten a vote of confidence from manager Ken Macha going forward.
Jeff Suppan also struggled mightily last season, as did lefthander Manny Parra, who will begin the season out of the rotation.
Milwaukee’s lineup has been its strong point, and that is expected to continue in 2010.
Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun are mashers in the middle of the order, and strike as much fear into opposing pitchers as any 1-2 punch in baseball.
However, they’re surrounded in the lineup by inexperienced players such as Carlos Gomez, Casey McGehee, and Alcides Escobar.
While the Brewers may be able to outscore anybody in the league, their pitching remains a major question mark.
2010 prediction: 77-85, Fifth place, NL Central